Dennis Osborne is the meetings secretary.
If you wish to contact him please use firstname.lastname@example.org
SHA MEETINGS IN 2017
1. SPRING CONFERENCE
The Spring Conference will take place at the Institute of Astronomy, Cambridge on Sat 22 April.
The programme for the day can be found below:
2. SUMMER PICNIC
The SHA Summer Picnic will be on Sat. 1 July at Liverpool World Museum, William Brown Street, Liverpool City Centre.
3. AGM / AUTUMN CONFERENCE
The AGM/Conference will be on Sat. 28 October 2017 at the Birmingham & Midland Institute.
SHA Meetings that were held in 2016
- The Spring Conference was held with the William Herschel Society on Saturday 2 April 2016 at the Elwin Room, Bath Royal Literary and Scientific Institution 16-18 Queen Square, Bath, BA1 2HN
2. The Summer Picnic was held on Saturday 2 July.
3. The Annual General Meeting & Autumn Conference was held at the Birmingham & Midlands Institute, Margaret Street, Birmingham B3 3BS on Saturday 29 October. Further details can be found by clicking below.
Details of SHA Meetings that were held in 2015
SHA/BAA Historical Section Joint Spring Conference 2015
The SHA Spring Conference for 2015 is a joint conference with the Historical Section of the British Astronomical Association, and will take place on Saturday 28 March at the National Maritime Museum, Park Row, Greenwich, London SE10 9NF.
The strong programme for this conference should appeal to all. Pre-registration in advance is essential to our arrangement with NMM, and to arrange refreshments, then you can pay on arrival. Fee is £5 per person (£10 per guest) for SHA and for BAA members.
The programme, chaired by Mike Frost (BAA) and Madeline Cox (SHA), will feature presentations by the following speakers:
- Anthony Kinder on A survey of the historical membership of the BAA and of the SHA
- Roger Jones on A unique record of British and Irish astronomy across the centuries: the SHA Online Survey by county
- Prof. Jay Pasachoff on Galileo Galilei and Simon Marius: Their 1609 and 1610 Discoveries about our Moon and Jupiter’s Moons
- Bob Marriott on William Dawes and William Rutter Dawes
- Dr. Stuart Clark on Richard Carrington (and the Solar Flare of 1859)
- Dr. William ‘Bill’ Sheehan on Mars: from the canals to Curiosity (The SHA’s Alan Cox and David Dewhirst Memorial Lecture)
SHA members should book or pre-register with Roger Hutchins: email@example.com
BAA Members should book or pre-register with the BAA office: firstname.lastname@example.org
Light interval refreshments will be provided but delegates are asked to make their own provision for lunch. There is an excellent café and a restaurant nearby in the Museum, and pubs within easy walking distance. There is very limited disabled parking available for blue badge holders only strictly by prior arrangement. Otherwise the now excellent tube/DLR links are the way to go.
To download the fully detailed programme flyer, with booking details, in pdf format for best viewing and printing, please click on the following link:
SHA Summer Picnic 2015
The 2015 SHA Summer Picnic will take place on Saturday 4 July at the birthplace of Sir Isaac Newton – Woolsthorpe Manor, Lincolnshire. The event will include a tour of the house and a visit to Colsterthorpe Church. Further details to follow.
SHA Autumn Conference and Annual General Meeting 2015
The 2015 SHA Autumn Conference and Annual General Meeting will take place on Saturday 31 October in the traditional venue – the John Lee Theatre of the Birmingham & Midland Institute, Margaret Street, Birmingham B3 3BS, between 9.30am-5pm.
Further details to follow.
SHA Council Meetings in 2015
The SHA Council meets several times each year and is also closely linked by email. Council meetings are not generally open due to lack of space, but any SHA Member may present an important matter to Council by arrangement in advance with the General Secretary (see Council page).
7 February Birmingham (BMI)
6 June Manchester (Godlee Observatory)
12 September Manchester (Godlee Observatory)
21 November London ? (TBC)
For your interest and as an example of the high standard of speakers, papers and lectures you may expect to see and enjoy at our events, you are invited to download and view a PDF of our past speakers list via the link below:
You are invited to download our general triform leaflet and our current programme leaflet, both in pdf form, via the following links:
If you do not already have a pdf reader installed on your computer, follow the next link to download Adobe Acrobat Reader, free of charge: